That wonderful time of year is here. Spring has sprung, the weather is beautiful, and the local apprais
al district has made up a new value for your home. If you feel like the value on your home is too high, you only have until May 15th, 2018 to file a Protest.
Here Are Your Options
– Nothing – You are certainly within your rights to do nothing at all. Your tax appraisal will continue to climb year after year and your property taxes will continue to go up.
– Informal Protest – There are two types of protests. Information and Formal. Most taxing districts offer an online informal protest. You can also request an in-person informal process. This is an easy way to try to get a reduction. You fill out an online form, provide your evidence and argument, and wait for a decision. If you like that decision, you can accept the new value. If you do not, you can file a formal protest.
– Formal Protest – if you are not satisfied with the outcome, you can request a formal hearing. In a formal hearing, it will be you, a county representative and three board members.
– Hire Someone – There are lots of tax protest companies out there. Most work for a percentage of reduction.
How Can We Help?
– Get Your Facts Straight
You may protest the value on your property in the following situations:
- the value the appraisal district placed on your property is too high;
- your property is unequally appraised;
- the appraisal district denied a special appraisal, such as open-space land, or incorrectly denied your exemption application;
- the appraisal district failed to provide you with required notices; or
- other matters prescribed by Tax Code Section 41.41(a).
– Ask Us For Evidence
If you feel like your property value is too high, you will need to support your argument with evidence. Contact me today at Jacob@TexasDreamRealtors.com. I can pull comparables for your home and discuss what my opinion of value on your home may be. We can often find alike home sales that will support a lower valuation than the county.
You Can Do It!
The process to protest your taxes is actually fairly simple. It may seem like a lot of unknowns but we are confident you can do it.